Skip to content
Google Earth Tour of Locations in Going Backwards
John McDonogh: Shooting
- Cop Criticizes Dead Teen – Mary Foster, Associated Press: April 14, 2003.
- 1 Slain, 4 Hurt At N.O. School – Brian Thevenot, Times-Picayune: April 15, 2003.
- One Killed and 3 Are Wounded at New Orleans School – Rick Bragg, New York Times: April 15, 2003.
- School shooting claims 1 life – Associated Press: April 15, 2003.
- Student Is Fatally Shot at New Orleans School – Lianne Hart, Los Angeles Times: April 15, 2003.
- Blood Feud – Brian Thevenot, Times-Picayune: April 16, 2003.
- Metal detectors often ignored, some say – Aesha Rasheed, Times-Picayune: April 16, 2003.
- New Orleans Shooting Reveals Safety Gaps – Darcia Harris Bowman, Education Week: April 23, 2003.
- The Best Security – Gambit Weekly: April 23, 2003.
- Madness and Mayhem – Edmund W. Lewis, Louisiana Weekly: April 28, 2003.
John McDonogh: Academic Performance
New Orleans: Crime & Murder Rate
- New Orleans Struggles With a Homicide Rate That Belies Its Size – Jeffrey Gettleman, New York Times: July 11, 2003.
- Cycle of Death: How New Orleans Became the Nation’s Murder Capital – Steve Ritea and Tara Young, Times-Picayune: February 8, 2004.
- Hot Zone – Tara Young, Times-Picayune: February 9, 2004.
- A Battle Without End – Michael Perlstein, Times-Picayune: February 11, 2004.
- Student’s Death Sparks Crescendo Of Revenge – Tara Young, Times-Picayune: February 11, 2004.
New Orleans Public Schools: Academic Problems
New Orleans Public Schools: Mismanagement & Corruption
- Contract Buyout of New Orleans Chief Spurs Lawsuit – Beth Reinhard, Education Week: February 28, 1998.
- Looted: A Special Report – Times-Picayune: March 1998.
- Principal Accused of Extortion – Julie Blair, Philadelphia Inquirer: October 4, 2000.
- Amato to Run New Orleans Schools – Jeff Archer, Education Week: February 12, 2003.
- New Orleans schools probed for alleged misspending – Brett Martell, Associated Press: June 22, 2003.
- Feds open investigation of school payroll – Brian Thevenot, Times-Picayune: June 26, 2003.
- School System Corruption Sparks Probe – Lianne Hart, Los Angeles Times: April 24, 2004.
- Earlier board reform movement sputtered out – Michael A. Mohammed, Times-Picayune: June 13, 2004.
- So You Want to Run for School Board? – Allen Johnson, Jr., Gambit Weekly: July 13, 2004.
- 45 New School Math Labs Approved – Aesha Rasheed, Times-Picayune: November 16, 2004.
- Federal Grand Jury Indicts Eleven in Orleans Parish Schools Corruption Investigation – OIG Investigative Reports, U.S. Department of Education: December 16, 2004.
- Final Audit Report for the Orleans Parish School Board – Office of the Inspector General, U.S. Department of Education: February 16, 2005.
- Besieged Amato Calls It Quits – Brian Thevenot, Times-Picayune: April 13, 2005.
- Crises multiply at schools in New Orleans – Adam Nossiter, Associated Press: April 19, 2005.
- Orleans Parish School Board Comprehensive Annual Financial Report – Ora Watson, Orleans Parish School Board: June 30, 2005.
- Orleans Parish School Board Compliance Audit – Louisiana Legislative Auditor: August 24, 2005.
- Two sentenced to prison in New Orleans public schools bribery scheme – Susan Finch, Times-Picayune: October 29, 2008.
- Former school board President Brooks-Simms testifies she took bribes – Laura Maggi, Times-Picayune: August 12, 2009.
- Jefferson case shows meltdown of Orleans Parish School Board – Brian Thevenot, Times-Picayune: August 23, 2009.
- School Board attributes bid rejection to contractor’s history of corruption – Cindy Chang, Times-Picayune: December 18, 2009.
- Convicted felon Burnell Moliere can no longer represent companies on state contractors licenses – Cindy Chang, Times-Picayune: February 18, 2010.
- Former Orleans Parish School Board President Sentenced to 18 Months in Federal Prison – U.S. Attorney’s Office Eastern District of Louisiana: March 11, 2010.
- Witnesses at Renee Gill Pratt’s trial describe inner workings of Jefferson nonprofits – Times-Picayune: February 9, 2011.
- Mose Jefferson’s right-hand man says he did what he was told, no questions asked – Martha Carr, Times-Picayune: February 9, 2011.
- Longtime head of Jefferson family political machine sentenced to 30 months in bribery scheme – Bill Lodge and Gordon Russell, The Advocate: August 15, 2013.
New Orleans Public Schools: History
Wicker Elementary: Academic Performance
WSB-TV newsfilm clip of OPSB members Lloyd Rittiner and Emile Wagner in 1960