With the 2016 Regular Session of the Louisiana Legislature now in full swing, I thought it might be interesting to take a look at the campaign finance records of the Louisiana Federation of Teachers (LFT) and Louisiana Association of Educators (LAE) to see where their donations have been going.

Below, I’ve assembled all campaign donations made by LFT and LAE from 1999 to 2015. Note that these records to do not include contributions made by union-affiliated PACs, local affiliates, or LFT and LAE’s parent organizations, the American Federation of Teachers and National Education Association. The list below also omits LFT and LAE’s contributions to party committees (although I’ll get to that later in the post).

 
 

I. Union Contributions: The Big Picture

Let’s start with the individual contributions made by LFT and LAE since 1999. Overall, 60% ($448,050) of the $750,118 in campaign contributions made by the state’s two teachers unions were made by LAE, while the other 40% ($302,068) came from LFT.

Not surprisingly, 80% of the total money given by LFT and LAE ($604,750) went to Democratic candidates, while Republicans garnered a measly 19% ($143,893) of the unions’ donations (and the remaining $1,475 went to a few random independents).

To their credit, when LFT and LAE made campaign contributions, they tended to back winners. 72% of the individual contributions made by the unions went to candidates who eventually won their elections.

II. Who Received The Most Money?

Public Service Commissioner Foster Campbell has received more money – $18,500 in total – from LFT and LAE than any other candidate over the past 16 years. Before his election to the PSC in 2003, Foster served in the Louisiana State Senate for nearly three decades. He also waged an unsuccessful campaign against Bobby Jindal for Governor in 2007. Interestingly enough, last week Governor John Bel Edwards announced he’s backing Campbell in the race to fill David Vitter’s seat in the U.S. Senate.

Public Service Commissioner Foster Campbell & Sen. Yvonne Dorsey-Colomb scored big.
Public Service Commissioner Foster Campbell & Sen. Yvonne Dorsey-Colomb scored big.

In terms of current state legislators, Sen. Yvonne Dorsey-Colomb comes out on top. She has received over $15,000 in contributions from the teachers unions. Rounding out the “Top 10 List” of LFT/LAE beneficiaries are:

III. Giving to Party Committees

Finally, as promised, we turn to LFT and LAE’s contributions to party committees, which are used by the parties to support candidates for office. Again, the vast majority (88%) of the $315,680 the two unions made to party committees went to Democrats, while Republicans got the scraps.

LFT & LAE giving to Democratic Party committees outweighed contributions to Republicans.
LFT & LAE giving to Democratic Party committees outweighed contributions to Republicans.

Subscribe to PE+CO

Get new posts directly in your inbox by submitting your information below.

Thanks. Check your email to confirm your subscription.

Something went wrong.

LEAVE A COMMENT

avatar
Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Teachers Union Endorses Foster Campbell – PE + CO
Guest

This Article was mentioned on peterccook.com

Alphonse Beliavsky
Guest

peterccook.com/2016/04/07/lft… Powerful kick thug teachers are delivering to @lagop. Look at the graphics!


Brett Venable
Guest

good article. Who got money from charter schools and how much for comparison? twitter.com/petercook/stat…

The Modern Teacher
Guest

The Modern Teacher liked this Article on twitter.com.

Dmitri Mehlhorn
Guest

Dmitri Mehlhorn liked this Article on twitter.com.

Citizen Ed
Guest

Citizen Ed liked this Article on twitter.com.

Dmitri Mehlhorn
Guest

Dmitri Mehlhorn reposted this Article on twitter.com.

wpDiscuz